Sunday, June 7, 2009

New Dress

I'll spare you my face here. I think because we slept in, Noah was standing at a funny angle, or maybe just one of those days, I looked a little bit like a troll today.

This is based on Simplicity 3835. I lengthened it, changed the sleeves up a bit, and added a velcro closure belt with the ubiquitos flowers. There are no darts in the front, and that's why the belt makes the wonky wrinkles there. Maybe it's the way my arms are. There are two darts in the back AND a zipper. Wow. I put it in and was so pleased that I got it matched up right and straight and everything, that the little bubble that had formed at the bottom inspired me to think outside the box and rip out the skirt seem instead of doing the zipper again. I'm still pleased with that stroke of genius. Next time, I'll just pin the skirt until the zipper's in.
This pic is actually upside-down; I took it while I was wearing the dress. Ha!

Noah gets an award for going with me on a "quick trip" to the fabric store. We looked at solids for more than an hour! I wanted 1) something bright for the accents and 2) a plain color for the body of the dress that wasn't too see-through and wasn't the same color as my skin (so I wouldn't look naked!). Guess what-- on the way out I saw the fabric color was called "flesh." Creepy, yucky, ironic. But I love the mix of simple pink and vibrant yellow. I ended up having to line it in muslin so it wouldn't be scandalous. AND I used my new blind hem foot for the hem. It was sort of stressful, but it really is blind... invisible. Hems don't have eyes, right?

4 comments:

  1. 9.4. Let's add some darts in front to make it a perfect 10! I love the colors and (of course) the flowers. :) GREAT JOB!!!! So... how many hours did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really want to know? I don't think you'll like it as much if I tell you.
    Maybe 20. I worked a lot last Sunday and this Saturday, and then I just did an hour or so each day in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! You must be the girl patterns are modeled after. I could never get a fit that good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know you made this. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete